This is what I saw with the engine and transmission removed and after high pressure washing and degreasing.

After removing the master cylinder, I saw a mutilated mess and knew this problem had to be corrected.

Under the battery tray, there wasn't much left of the apron.

Someone told me that a 64 or 65 Mustang battery apron was interchangeable with my 65 Ranchero, so I ordered one. When it came in, I could easily see this would not work, so I improvised.

Here and in the next picture you can see what all had to be cut out.

There was a LOT of rust!

I cut the Mustang battery apron up to get the pieces I needed and welded it into place.

Once all the repairs were made, I painted the entire engine compartment with zero rust paint.